Not So Starlike

The Star Test....one that I probably didn't put too much attention to before but to date was one that almost stopped me at our tracts.  I know tests are usually not an accurate assessment of my children's progress because so many things can affect the results.  I guess today was just not the most ideal time for the girls to take this since the results seems off to say the least.  Mer's  Math scores were normal but her Reading and Comprehension, where she usually excels, suffered greatly.  Myka could not even take her regular assessment because she couldn't read her questionnaires.  But since this is the test that the advisory teachers based their initial progress and assessments of my children's learning, today's below average results truly did not satisfy us both.  In fact, it almost disheartened me! 
 
I've been working hard all summer and the beginning of this school year, ensuring that this year would be better for us and to show a better progress for the girls, which means finally getting them into grade level.  This tests confirms the fact that we have a lot of work to do and it certainly overwhelmed me.  I questioned my abilities a bit, figuring out if I really do have what it takes to help my children get to where they need to be.  It was certainly an eye opener but I also had to remind myself of the learning curve that we are still trying to get over.  I have to work extra hard though that my adjustments as a teacher do not in any way be  the reason that will hold my children back.  So, as discouraging as it was to see these test results, I had to dust myself off and carry on, putting forth more effort, trying out more ways to engage my children to learn more and retain more of what they are learning.  It's a constant reminder of the heaviness of this responsibility and that consistency is a must!
 
It was hard to swallow but I have to remind myself that I'm in control of this so results will come when I put in an equal amount of effort.  Instead of defeat, I owe it to my children and to myself to continue to have the confidence to see this through....test or no test! 
 

Comments

Popular Posts