I Have Much to Learn

Homeschooling has been the hardest challenge I ever tackled.  Now in our second year, it seems that I should at least have an inkling of what to do or have at least a rhythm established to our day.  One semester down and I have to say I'm still struggling and lately, it's been getting me down. The girls are also demonstrating that they are lacking.  They are constantly arguing and are quite snappy!!! I know it's time to reevaluate our system and hopefully give it a make over before its too late.
 
I have not joined any homeschool groups to date. Frankly, I just don't feel we have the time for them but I'm slowly giving in to the idea simply because I've been seeing the advantage of having fellow homeschooling moms around to bounce around ideas with or even better, to consult when in times like these.  I had the pleasure of such company today, albeit they are new to this journey like myself, but another mom to my girl's classmates in today's Math and Science Nucleus class was a happy and a much needed distraction our usual day.  I spoke to her before but not much with organization and curriculum as we did today....it was eye opening!!!  Granted, she got the ideas from another mom in COIL who's been homeschooling forever, but what we talked about made so much sense that it just hit me that my missing resource is right under my nose the whole time...other moms!  And there was plenty to learn!!!
 
First on organization....I've been keeping everything as is, in books and in whatever format the curriculums come in.  She suggested that I should take them out and compiled them in a master binder - one for finished work and one for work that is yet to be done.  Then, she said, put a weeks worth of work in one binder divided by subject and have a schedule on top so that the girls can check off what they completed.  They can do less or more as long as they complete the rest of the work in a week....brilliant!!
 
As for curriculum, she suggested a few things but what stood out is vocabulary which I feel we don't really have right now.  It's already a full plate but that's another change I'm planning to make.  In preparation for this year,  I bought and trialed a few things that just did not work out for us and now, even with changes, I still feel that the girls and I are quite overwhelmed so I'm taking away some more.  Now instead of having two separate grammar curriculums we are going back to one. Combining grammar will allow us to now include a combined vocabulary instruction as well.
 
Lastly, we talked about resources and boy here were plenty!  The one I really want to take advantage of is an educators' shopping "mall" of sorts, RAFT (Resource Area For Teaching).  It has a membership fee ($40) but apparently, you make it up with the number of books and free resources you get back and you know I want in!!!  The books alone will be worth it!
 
I'm planning to implement these suggestion right away and I'm also hoping to "test drive" a few homeschooling groups as well to see if we fit in.  It's good to remember that we are never alone in this journey.  It's overwhelming yes but with many hands (or ears), the weight becomes easier to carry and a lot better to take on.
 

Comments

Popular Posts