Year 3

So here we go again, starting another adventurous year with the hopes that this is when we will get it right.  Optimistic yes but still struggling nonetheless. 
 
It's particularly challenging when your mind is still stuck in PSS bliss.  That class was what I need to boost up my ministry but I'm also trying to apply the same enthusiasm to our schooling at home.  However, because I was in class when school actually start, my first official week of teaching proved to be rocky since I was struggling with my preparations.  I'm still in the midst of setting up folders and forms that I've neglected to plan out my lessons and catching up is just really slow.  Also, because of last years' messed up curriculum dilemma, I find that I'm coming in this year with less excitement.  I guess I'm trying to keep my expectations low since it was really heartbreaking for me when things got disappointing.  Still, I know that it can only get better from here so I'm trying to pump myself up and get going. 
 
So far this month, things are moving but we do have some delays already from our history schedule.  I'm still not worried since the school care less about the subject as long as I could keep up with our Language Arts, Reading and Math which will be the core of the testing that will be done in spring. My goal though is just to get the right rhythm going and to make sure that we stay consistent.  Lofty goals for me who easily gets distracted but this is the year to lay down the law and get serious since we really need to catch up.


To help us stay focused my ES kept us in a simplified curriculum which I was more than happy to obliged since I still got to pick it anyway.  So, in an almost a complete 180 from last years curriculum heavy year, this year is all about the right focus.  Here's a list of what we will be attempting to finish this year:
 
MATH:
Mer - Saxon (starting with Level 3 then going on to Level 4)
Myka - Math U See Gamma

 
LANGUAGE ARTS
English Lessons Through Literature - my pick.  All inclusive Language Arts curriculum with an emphasis to reading and discussing good literature.  Included for the year will be Read Alouds of 5 classic literature.....sweet!  

However, because the girls are behind, we still had to supplement their learning with the following:
SPELLING:
Mer - Sequential Spelling.  Trying something new
Myka - All About Spelling.  Continuing last year's endeavor but not really emphasizing on it until she reads faster.
 
READING:
Myka: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons.  This is Wendy's choice.  Very elementary but I just have to suck it up and let her direct me on it since Myka really does need a lot of help on this subject. 

PHONICS:
Still the hated Lexia but to appease the girls I'm only letting them do it for 2 10 to 15 minute sessions a week and do a Headsprout session instead on the 3rd day.

WRITING:
I'm still debating on using an actual curriculum for writing since our LA program already has a lot of narration exercises.  My girls are also not very fond of journaling so we've been Notebooking instead and maybe down the line, we can incorporate this little gem when we finally have the budget to do so.

Then we got....
SCIENCE:
REAL Science Odyssey - Earth and Space Level 1.  I opted to move on from our Life level since it's necessary to complete the series on time.  However, we will try to get back to our animal unit if we have the opportunity to do so.

 
HISTORY:
History Odyssey - Ancients.  Continuing our unfinished curriculum with the hopes that will be able go into the Middle Ages before the end of the year.


GEOGRAPHY:
I'm creating my own this year but it will focus on US Geography first (states, state names, location, and capitals) then World Geography using this book and this one as well. Our main goal is to simply be familiar with names, locations and trademarks and reserve the more detailed study for later.



HEALTH:
I finally started the Body Book for Girls (I'm using the original version, not the revised "for younger girls" one so no links...though I'm thinking of switching to that too.) that I wanted to start last year and I think this was a better year to cover it since the girls are older and more able to handle and take the information seriously.

ART is still covered through classes in school but I might do some HOME ECONOMICS when there's still time to do so.

Overall, still a simpler format and a more straight forward approach that will hopefully be the right solution for us and get back on track!

This is the year!!!  I'm optimistic that it will finally turn for the girls and hopefully, for me as well. 

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts