Life is Fleeting

Less than a year ago, I posted this picture on my Flickr page after my then 38 year-old sister-in-law was diagnosed with gastric cancer.  


It was taken on a very important yearly event and I remember vividly how my husband was telling me to make sure I take good pictures of her that night since we never knew what could happen and how perhaps that Memorial day may be her last one with us.  I'm sure my husband was not at all being pessimistic, in fact he was the strongest proponent of her care, be it traditional or alternative, apart from her husband.  Perhaps  though he knew that the moment the doctors diagnosed her with stage 4 gastric cancer, her life clock has been cut short.  Early Friday morning, around 1:55am, when all family members left for the day and while her husband slept beside her hospital bed, she quietly passed away...less than a year after she was diagnosed.

She fought hard even when the doctors already gave up and perhaps even when the family gave up as well.  When her kidneys collapsed Monday, she was no longer talking and opening her eyes but every time we mentioned death, she motioned her hands as if telling us to stop giving up.  Unfortunately, there's not much we or the doctors could have done at that point but she hang on and gave us all a few more days to say goodbye. 

Mailyn was a beautiful soul both inside and out. She was selfless and loving to all but especially to her babies - her only child and the rest of ours as well.  She always saw the beauty in everyone and was always kind even when others were not.  She loved life, loved food, love to sing and dance, loved her family and her God and she is loved but so many.  She will be greatly missed.  I will miss her and remember her fondly.  

Rest in peace my dear!  We will see you when you awake!

Comments

Popular Posts