The Puzzle Master

I've been under the covers sniffling, coughing and overall miserable after picking up Mer's run in with the flu bug this weekend.  She had to stay away from school for a couple of days and today was her first day back.  She's feeling better just as I am feeling worse.  So, I spent the morning taking things really slow and had a chance to have some quiet time with Ickey as she played by herself this morning.  The girls current toy fling is puzzles and unbeknownst to me, Ickey was apparently really good at it.  We received a few new puzzle gifts a couple of days ago and Mer had me sitting on the floor completing one of them with her.  She knows the concept but I guess she still needs some assistance in completing a piece for the first time.  Ickey on the other hand, apparently breezed through one of the new puzzles on her own.  


 What's impressive was that this was not a large picture puzzle that is not so complicated to put together.  The puzzle she completed had a lot of little pictures and the pieces were smaller than the usual beginner pieces.  I didn't get to see her complete it for the first time but I did see it for my own eyes this morning.  She completed the small, complicate puzzle quickly then she started her old, larger puzzle right after.  It was amazing to observe how my impatient little one was in such deep concentration with what she was doing.  She does not look at the picture on the box but she carefully tries on each piece and figure out their places in her own order, progressively and patiently.  



I was so proud of her.  And despite my grogginess, I was very happy to sit there and observe the little genius at work (messy hair and all).  She was certainly a puzzle master in her own right and perhaps showing the skills of a budding mathematician....perhaps someone will take after grandma after all!

Comments

Popular Posts