Building Anticipation

I'm posting a couple of times today...

I found an article from an old Parents magazine regarding getting ready for school, what to do and when. One of the suggestions was to mark the days by making a paper chain out and have your child remove one link each day leading up to the start of school.  It was a great idea to help build anticipation and it also makes it easier for Mer to understand how much longer is school actually going to start.


I made a second chain for Ickey, knowing that she'll probably want to play along. Her's is entitled "Days Till Ate Goes to School" (Ate by the way is Tagalog for older sister). 


I made it in haste so it's pretty generic looking but it will serve it's purpose well.  Mer woke up this morning and after explaining to her simply what this is for, she cut her first ring (Ickey too).  

It's an exciting process for many and a sure fire indicator that our children are definitely growing up and moving on but I have to admit that sending her to school still weighs heavy in my heart.  I had wanted very much to homeschool my girls and I still intend to but I have consistency problems and I don't feel confident that I could do this successfully and effectively. So, my husband and I decided that we'll let her attend the regular school for a year and then decide if  this suits us and our family.  

There are many reasons why parents choose to homeschool their children but the bottom line is that they do it out of deep love and desire to preserve their children's individuality as well as their family values that are often marred in the constant company of others with different and sometimes even opposite views.  We feel that way too.  But to us there is also the faith factor.  Homeschooling makes it easier for us to filter the many things that does not coincide with our beliefs and to cater our lessons to include examples that would build and strengthen our children's faith as well.  

Upon checking out information for homeschooling I realized though that California does not make it easy for those who choose this path.  There are many requirements for those without teaching credentials and if we do end up choosing to go this way in the future, it might mean paying tuition thru a charter school just so we could do it legally.  

I'm hoping that when the time comes it will be easier.  For now, I'll let out a big sigh and see where this new adventure will lead us.

Comments

Popular Posts