No Junkfood Please

We spent our extra day off from school running around to find extra school supplies.  Before we hit the stores we stopped to fuel our bodies.  I am proud to say that my children no longer wants McDonalds even when suggested.  What they love lately is going to our favorite salad buffet, Sweet Tomatoes.  It's one of the healthier options to go to when you are out in about....you still have to make the right choices of course...but it feels good to know that you are already starting out with good choices that are prepared well and tastes great.

My girls love the Mac N' Cheese, of course and as much as I wish they could join me in having a platter of green salad first, Mac N' Cheese and good Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup with handmade noodles is still a great alternative to cheese burger and fries.

Every once in a while, Mer will dare a zucchini or a cucumber and an olive or two.  Then to wash it down is usually just water, milk or a bit of apple juice....yup, they are soda free!

What they do indulge in is ice cream! In Sweet Tomatoes, the choice is usually non fat yogurt or low fat soft served.  We see them refill their machines often and you can clearly see that the ingredients are the basics, no preservatives.  For home, we usually try to get ice cream that's mostly natural like Breyers or Open Nature (by Safeway) or better yet organic.  If they are not available, we make our own



I'm hoping that we will continue on this path and even more so to just eating more veggies and whole foods.  I've been lax with the vegetable dishes again and have not been cooking as much as I used to but I'm hoping to get back to that routine soon. My girls do eat it but it needs to be consistent so they will continue to eat veggies even when on the go.

It's a great feeling to know that as a family with little ones, we could say no to junk foods and chose better options to stay healthy.

Comments

Popular Posts