The Inevitable

It was just a matter of time before the rest of my family followed me in the sick bed.  Thankfully, the little ones are not coughing yet but Mer has the sniffles already and my hubby seemed to have caught some sort of stomach bug.  He's been struggling throughout this winter season with constant arthritis pain and it's pains me to watch him limp around all the time.  We're all hoping and praying that his employment would become permanent soon so he could go see a doctor for a physical.  Hopefully, nothing major is going on.  It's frustrating when you can't go see a doctor because you simply can't afford it or any medical plan.for that matter.  It's time's like these when I wish I could be in another country where their citizens don't have to worry about their health plan since it is free. One of my favorite blogs I enjoy reading wrote about this recently.  Read it here.

Anyway, back to this week's project. Today, I was suppose to make two items from this book; No Doc Guac and and a Tortilla Soup recipe but my hubby requested another soup instead.  So, only the snack/appetizer was tried out today and it is really just simple guacamole with extra vegetable boost.  I would probably add garlic (finely chopped or pressed) to this next time and even a bit of cilantro for more flavor.  Otherwise, it is still very good.



NO DOC GUAC
1 Ripe Avocado - mashed, 1/2 lime, freshly squeezed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 to 4 tablespoons of Green Puree (spinach boiled in water and pressed in a fine mesh strainer).  Mixed together and serve.

Unfortunately, I was the only one who enjoyed it.  My girls opted for PBJ instead.  Frankly, it's tough to keep going with this endeavor when the food does not get eaten but as they say many times in the parenting world, you just have to keep serving the right stuff and hopefully one day they will learn to eat it. 


A short trip to Trader Joes in the afternoon afforded me a pit stop for a bit of thrifting as well. I found a couple of great recipe books to add to my growing cookbook library - Martha Stewart's Hors d' Oeuvres Book and Betty Crocker's Whole Grains Cookbook.  The first of course is more for gatherings and such but the latter is good for everyday cooking although it's not really geared towards organic/natural ingredients but that could be substituted of course.  (The rest of my loot is just a few glass bottles for our fresh juices, a book for the girls - yes, it is on the list, a beanie and a vintage flat sheet - fabric for my stash).



What I'm really enjoying is a book I borrowed from the library recently and I think I will eventually seek one out for myself.  It's called Family Meals.  I love the simple recipes and the how it includes the children in the process.  Beautiful pictures and great basics!!!  In fact, I think the girls and I will try the donuts recipe tomorrow. 

Lastly, my green accomplishment of the day - today I finished what would hopefully be our last Downy bottle. I am considering using this product which is not only 100% biodegradable but also comes which it's own soy based softener.  The best deal I found so far is the above link with Amazon...but I'm waiting to finish the rest of my detergent first...can't wait!!!

For now, be well everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts